Capture the epic life stories of your grandparents or a family member and share their story with us! Let’s learn from their lessons in community building, migration, survival and the challenges they faced and overcame. Click here to find out how you can apply.
1. Q: Who can stand for the post of president of The World Federation of KSIMC?
A: Candidate for presidential elections must be a registered member of a Constituent Member and must be nominated by any member Federation.
2. Q: Who are the member Federations?
A: There are six member Federations – (1) The Federation of Khoja Shia Ithna Asheri Jamaats of Africa (Africa Federation), (2) Council of All KSI Jamats (India Federation), (3) The Council of European Jamaats (CoEJ), (4) Federation of Australasian Communities INC. (FAC), (5) Federation of Khoja Shia Isna Asheri Jamaats of Pakistan (Pakistan Federation) and (6) North American Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Communities (NASIMCO).
3. Q: What is a Constituent Member?
A: ‘Constituent Member’ means a member of a Regional Federation which is a member of the World Federation.
4. Q: Who can vote?
A: Only those who have been included in the eligible register of voters provided by the member Federations to the Electoral Commission.
5. Q: How will the vote take place?
A: By ballot paper provided by the Electoral Commission to member Federations.
6. Q: Is proxy voting or by post allowed?
A: Proxy, postal and all types of electronic voting are not permitted.
7. Q: When will the nominations for the post of president of The World Federation of KSIMC open for the term 2020-2023?
A: The nominations will open on 4 December 2019.
8. Q: When will the nominations close?
A: At 17.00 hours UK time on 2 January 2020.
9. Q: When can nomination be sent to the Electoral Commission?
A: Only between when the Nominations open and close (immediately after the Notice inviting nominations is released and 17.00hrs UK time on 2 January 2020).
10. Q: What is the address of the Electoral Commission?
A: Electoral Commission, The World Federation of KSIMC, Wood Lane, Stanmore, Middlesex, HA7 4LQ.
11. Q: What are the requirements of nominations?
A: In addition to a candidate must be a registered member of a Constituent Member and must be nominated by any member Federation, the nominations must be WF Presidential Election FAQ accompanied with a signed consent letter from the nominated candidate and a written confirmation from the candidate that he or she will resign his/her conflicting position if elected.
12. Q: Can the nominations be sent electronically?
A: NO. Electronic nominations submitted will NOT be accepted. The nomination papers must be received at Electoral Commission’s address either by post or hand-delivered.
13. Q: What if there is only one eligible candidate for the post of the president?
A: If only one eligible nomination is received then the Electoral Commission will declare the candidate duly elected unopposed.
14. Q: What if there is more than one eligible candidate for the post of the president?
A: If more than one eligible nomination is received then the Electoral Commission will activate the electoral process within 7 days after the closing date for the nominations.
15. Q: When will the voting take place?
A: The voting will take place on either Thursday 30 January or Friday 31 January 2020. The Regional Member will choose one of these two dates mentioned for voting to take place in its region. It will have to inform the Electoral Commission in advance of the date. Voting extending to next day in the same region is not allowed.
16. Q: When will the results of the election announced (where there is a contest)?
A: The Electoral Commission will announce the result of the election for the post of President at least 5 days before the date set for the ensuing Ordinary Conference. The Executive Council of The World Federation of KSIMC has declared their next Ordinary Conference will take place on 13-15 March 2020.
17. Q: What is an Electoral Commission?
A: The Electoral Commission of The World Federation is elected at its Ordinary Conference every three years.
18. A: How is the post of electing a president of The World Federation of KSIMC governed?
A: It is governed by the Constitution of The World Federation of KSIMC and by the Standard Operating Procedures for Electing the President of The World Federation of KSIMC (SOP).
Learn more how to apply to the Gates Cambridge Scholarship scheme here.
The Shia Youth Development Project (SYDP) is a vocational programme managed by the Bilal Muslim Mission (Moshi branch). Recently, Sadi Joza, one of its African Shia Muslim students, passed and graduated as an Assistant Pharmacist at KCMC Hospital and has secured employment at the Ithna Asheri Hospital in Dar es Salaam. May the Almighty grant Br. Sadi continued success in the years to come.